Summer is the perfect time to fire up the grill and cook some delicious and healthy meals. One of the best summer dinner recipes that is both healthy and flavorful is Grilled Lemon-Garlic Shrimp Skewers. This dish is perfect for those following a keto diet, as it is low in carbs and high in protein.
In this article, we will discuss how to make Grilled Lemon-Garlic Shrimp Skewers, as well as provide helpful tips, answer some frequently asked questions, and provide nutritional information.
Why “Grilled Lemon-Garlic Shrimp Skewers” best for healthy summer dinner recipes keto?
Grilled Lemon-Garlic Shrimp Skewers are a great option for those looking for a healthy and keto-friendly summer dinner recipe. Shrimp is low in carbs and high in protein, making it the perfect choice for those on a keto diet. The marinade of garlic, lemon juice, and olive oil adds flavor and healthy fats to the dish. The addition of vegetables such as bell peppers and onions provides fiber and essential vitamins and minerals. Finally, serving the skewers with cauliflower rice instead of regular rice keeps the dish low in carbs.
How to Make Grilled Lemon-Garlic Shrimp Skewers
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 onion, cut into bite-sized pieces
- Cauliflower rice, for serving
- In a large bowl, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, minced garlic, salt, and black pepper. Whisk the ingredients together until they are well combined.
- Add the peeled and deveined shrimp to the bowl, and toss to coat them in the marinade. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let the shrimp marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, or up to 1 hour.
- While the shrimp is marinating, cut the red and yellow bell peppers and the onion into bite-sized pieces.
- When the shrimp has finished marinating, remove them from the refrigerator and begin to thread them onto skewers, alternating with the pieces of bell pepper and onion.
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat. Once the grill is hot, place the skewers on the grill and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until the shrimp are cooked through and the vegetables are tender.
- Once the skewers are cooked, remove them from the grill and let them rest for a few minutes.
- Serve the Grilled Lemon-Garlic Shrimp Skewers with a side of cauliflower rice for a healthy and delicious summer meal.
- Make sure to soak the wooden skewers in water for at least 30 minutes before grilling. This will prevent them from burning on the grill.
- If using metal skewers, you do not need to soak them.
- Be careful not to overcook the shrimp, as they can become tough and rubbery. Cook them until they are just pink and opaque.
- Feel free to mix up the vegetables you use on the skewers. Zucchini, cherry tomatoes, and mushrooms are all great options.
- If you don’t have a grill, you can also cook the skewers in a grill pan on the stove or under the broiler in the oven.
Can I use frozen shrimp for this recipe?
Yes, you can use frozen shrimp for this recipe. Make sure to thaw the shrimp completely before marinating them.
Can I use a grill pan instead of a grill?
Yes, you can use a grill pan instead of a grill to cook the skewers.
Can I substitute the vegetables for other ones?
Yes, you can customize this recipe by using your favorite vegetables. Just make sure to cut them into bite-sized pieces and adjust the cooking time as needed.
Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
Yes, you can marinate the shrimp and cut the vegetables ahead of time to make this recipe more quickly. Just be sure to thread the skewers right before grilling them to prevent the vegetables from getting too soft.
Grilled Lemon-Garlic Shrimp Skewers can be frozen for up to 3 months. To freeze, let the skewers cool completely, then wrap them tightly in plastic wrap and place them in a freezer-safe container or bag. When ready to eat, thaw the skewers in the refrigerator overnight, then reheat on the grill or in a grill pan until heated through.
If you have any leftover Grilled Lemon-Garlic Shrimp Skewers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply place them in the microwave or on the grill until heated through.
Grilled Lemon-Garlic Shrimp Skewers are a healthy and keto-friendly option for summer dinners. Here is the nutritional information for a serving size of 4 skewers (approximately 200g):
- Calories: 248
- Fat: 13g
- Carbohydrates: 10g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 23g
As you can see, this dish is low in carbs and high in protein, making it a great option for those following a keto diet. The addition of vegetables such as bell peppers and onions adds fiber and essential vitamins and minerals to the dish.
Grilled Lemon-Garlic Shrimp Skewers are a delicious and healthy option for summer dinners. This dish is easy to make and can be customized to include your favorite vegetables. Whether you’re following a keto diet or just looking for a healthy and flavorful meal, give this recipe a try. With its combination of garlic, lemon, and shrimp, it’s sure to be a crowd-pleaser at your next summer cookout.